Monday, October 27, 2008

Racism

Disappointed. I don't know how else to say how I feel about many of the people I know.

During this political campaign, I have received racist e-mails, phone texts, and even the occasional in-person comment or joke. I am not necessarily surprised by the racism. What surprises me is that people think that I would be fine with hearing that kind of thing. As if it's fine to say those things because we're both white.

I guess I am disappointed because each and every time I have called the person on it, not once has someone apologized. They intimate that there's something wrong with me because I don't want to hear that crap.

I am fairly well educated. Most of my friends are well educated. And while I never expected that just because most of my friends are similarly situated that they would necessarily think just like me, I am surprised that they harbor racist thoughts or feelings.

Anyway, disappointed kind of sums it up.

No comments: